Recording and Reporting Accidents

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR)

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) require employees to record all workplace accidents and to report some of them to the authorities.  

RIDDOR applies to all employers (including the self-employed) and covers everyone at work (including those on work experience and similar schemes and self employed workers engaged by you).  It also includes non-workers, such as visitors or members of the public affected by the work.

Reportable Accidents:

You must notify the Incident Contact Center (“ICC”) within 10 days of any accident:

where an employee or self-employed person is unable to do their normal job for more than three days, known as an “over 3 days injury” because of an accident at work. 

You must notify the ICC immediately where:

a death or major injury, such as a broken arm or leg or an amputation injury occurs to an employee or anyone else affected by your work

an employee is seriously affected by, for example, electric shock or poisoning;

a member of the public is killed or simply taken to hospital;

there is a dangerous occurrence, for example where something happens like a fire or explosion which stops work for more than 24 hours;

if you supply, fill or import liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in refillable containers and there is a death or major injury connected in any way with it.  You must confirm this with 14 days

You must also notify the ICC as soon as possible of a work-related disease (as specified in RIDDOR).

You may report all incidents to a single contact point:

Incident Contact Centre (ICC)
Caerphilly Business Park
Caerphilly CF83 3GG

You can report incidents:

by telephone between 8.30 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday on 0845 300 9923

by fax on 0845 300 9924 (charged at local call rate);

via the Internet at www.riddor.gov.uk  or www.hse.gov.uk

by e-mail to riddor@natbrit.com

by post to the ICC at Caerphilly

You must keep details of all accidents in your accident book.

Purchase a risk assessment
Contact us to conduct a risk assessment or to help investigate and report an accident

Additional Reading

Investigating Accidents